~experiencing fulfillment in seeing transformation happen in both the natural, your home, and the spiritual, your inner self~ How creating beauty in your home can stimulate inner spiritual growth!
You’re probably wondering what I mean by a “make-under”….
Well, when I looked at my craft room I just knew what needed to be done~
I needed to give this room a clean crisp look and at the same time give it a bit of my personality. The clean look would require taking out some of the old color and clutter! That would require some white paint and white molding…so that’s what we did!
1. The first thing I did was paint the wall white. We had taken the measurements and decided on how high we wanted the bead and batten panels to go, and so I painted two coats of white paint to that point. (I could already feel the room open up and my breathing got easier…ha!)
2. We had the boards cut ahead at Lowes, so that part was easy…
3. Next, was the “not so easy” part…. We used mdf to save money, but it was difficult to sand smoothly. I did the best I could sanding and then used the tack cloth to clean them.
4. I applied a white primer and two coats of white paint to the trim!
5. Then, we put up the top board and bottom board.
6. Next, we took on the measure, cut, measure again, trim some more, process of getting these boards to fit…my husband is my hero! 😉
7. Then, we attached the plate shelf to the top of the molding.
8. Lastly, we filled in nail holes and used adhesive caulk to fill in any gaps, to give it a clean finished look!
I know that for me, I think more clearly when things are clean lined and uncluttered. Since this is the room where all things creative happen, it just makes sense to make it over by doing a “make-under”! 🙂
All that said, I wanted to add a touch of my personality, using fresh colors that would tie into the rest of the first floor of our home. In light of that, I decided on the black, white, green & blue color scheme…
I had made the black and white roll pillows prior to this make-under and thought they would work on the bench.
I used three yard sale frames and some coordinating scrapbook papers to make these three fun graphic pictures. The middle has a store bought vinyl initial that I applied on a design I cut out of matching paper!
I made a temporary crafting table out of four stools with a leftover piece of wood. I love it, as I can store some of my supplies and finished projects on the rungs of the stools! It’s perfect for now. I am keeping my eyes open for a more permanent table or desk for this room, but I may not find one that works as well as this! 🙂
I made some cute organizers out of mason jars and burlap…they make me smile every time I see them…and the tin buckets work well to keep everything in its place!
The two dry erase boards were projects I worked on a while back~ they’re hanging out on my craft table until they find their final destinations…See how I made them here!
And finally, I put a few of my creations up on the wall to enjoy, and added simple curtains!
*I found this Pier One basket that completes the look…
The thought that comes to my mind as I write is simply this:
We, like this craft room, need to “make-under” ourselves in order for the master Creator to pour Himself into us. His gifts are clean, pure and uncluttered…they come full of beauty and creativity! They are colorful and unique!
James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
We’ve all heard the expression “less of us and more of Him”!
This is a very powerful thing to ask for from the Lord~ It’s His desire to exchange our “old decor” of our pasts for His new designs for our future…
Why don’t we ask Him now~
Heavenly Father, we all come with clutter from our pasts, and we know that this clutter keeps us from hearing you and flowing in your gifts. We ask you now, in the name of Jesus, to take our messy pasts and make us over into new and brighter and more beautiful creations. We gladly trade our old decor for the new. We choose to make-under ourselves with the anticipation of the wonder-full make-over You have for us. We thank you and praise you for all you’re doing in us, in Jesus’ name we pray!
I have to say, I am very excited about this prayer and I anticipate hearing about decor changes that will take place on the inside and the outside!
May God continue to richly bless you,
In His love,