~experiencing fulfillment in seeing transformation happen in both the natural, your home, and the spiritual, your inner self~ How creating beauty in your home can stimulate inner spiritual growth!
A week ago I had the joy of transforming my family room mantle for Summer!
My last post was on how to make the decorative shell bottles and today I’ll share with you easy diy steps to making these antique framed shell pieces…
I smile as I write “antique” because antique sounds so expensive…and these were not! These two frames were found at a yard sale for probably a quarter a piece. They came without glass or backs, but that was perfectly fine with me, as I knew I could do something with them….and I did! 🙂
Again I smile as I look at this project because the title “antique frame with shell” could just as well read, “almost completely free recycled art”…and here’s why I say that! 😀
Easy diy directions, with cost!
1. find old frames, the older the better…(yard sales, goodwill, your attic, your parents attic…etc…) COST: $ 0.25
2. dry brush with the paint color of your choice…(dry brushing just means putting a small amount of paint on your brush, then lightly go over the frame, allowing as much paint on the frame as you like. This is an easy way to get what some call the chippy look!) COST: free paint leftover from another project!
3. cut cardboard to fit inside the frame…there will be no need for glass…yeah! COST: free
4. cover cardboard with burlap or fabric to coordinate with your frame and shells…pull the fabric tight and tape to the back of the cardboard! (pulling tight is the key, I learned this the hard way…take my word for it!) 🙂 COST: free
5.glue white tile to the fabric, and then the shell to the center of the tile using heavy duty adhesive such as E6000. Allow the tiles and shells to dry overnight before continuing! COST of tiles: free….. COST of glue: around $4.00, but will be used for many projects! *I got my tiles free from my daughter! She and her friend picked them from some dumpster while at college….good times! I’m sad the tiles are now gone, but I know they are only about $0.29 at any hardware store!
6. the final step is to embellish with whatever you desire. I wanted to add a little silver shine and thought the silver thumb tacks would do it. I added one to each of the four corners! (You could use thumb tacks, upholstery tacks, beads, twine, rope or whatever You think looks good..)
*just make sure your frame is able to hang on the wall…you might need to add a picture hanger on the back of the frame!
Tip: If you don’t have any picture frame hangers, you can use the tab from a soda can. Just bend it slightly and hot glue to the center of the back of the frame…I thought of this when I was in a jam and it works perfectly well…
This was a LITERAL trash to treasure project~ one man’s trash is another man’s treasure!
I’m on the lookout for treasures, not only in things like these tiles, but treasures that are hidden in each on of us! We’re all filled with treasures and gifts from God that are buried and need to be unearthed! *I think of the verse in 2 Corinthians 4:7
“ We have this treasure in earthen vessels that the excellency of the power may be of God and not of ourselves.”
In those times they would use vessels made of clay to hold their valuable possessions! We are like the clay, weak and breakable, BUT GOD! He creates us with these valuable treasures and giftings that are often hidden. I believe we’re to help each other find these wonderful treasures in each other!!!
How, you ask….
“A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver” Proverbs 25:11
“The tongue has the power of life and death” Proverbs 18:21
“Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.” Proverbs 12:18
We speak Life into one another…we encourage one another, we see a glimpse of a gift and we acknowledge it in another to help it out, we honor one another…and the list goes on! The bottom line is we can use our words to help one another find the hidden treasures that are buried within each one of us!
*This week, let’s see what “treasures” we can find. Let’s look at each other with a different set of eyes, His eyes! Let’s look past the trash, the unhealed places in another, and look for what’s deep within! We might be in for a big surprise…how great would that be! 😀
I pray that this post is a blessing to you today… with much love,